Tuesday, September 3, 2013

SUNDAY



I sit on the grass
On a pleasant Sunday evening
Just like we always did
It was my most favourite thing

We would lie down on the grass
We would draw out all the clouds
“Oh that looks like an elephant!”
I would squeal out loud

You would tell me how
The sky is the best canvass on earth
And we would make up stories
Of fairies and horses and birds

I wrote all those down daddy
To give you a surprise

Mom walked in all teary
She hugged me oh so tight
I asked her, “where’s daddy”
But all she did was cry

As I sit here every Sunday
The wet grass tickling my neck
I know you are with me daddy
On that cloud shaped like a deck

Now I don’t see all those animals
We used to see before
I know you drawing those clouds
To surprise me more and more

I read to you my stories
Till the sky turns black from blue
Mommy always looks worried
I wish she could see you too

I look forward to Sundays
As every week begins
To tell you another story
I know you love to listen

No matter what I do
I go far away somewhere
I will know it is a Sunday
When I see the cloudy deck up there.

No comments:

Post a Comment